2009: A Year in Review

I much prefer to recap my year in pictures, but for today, a word recap will have to do. After multiple computer switches, my photos are in multiple places and I've yet gotten them back into an easy accesible place. That is on my to-do this month though.

2009...what a year. It had all the potential to be one of the worst, but it's actually ended up being one of the best. I had lunch with a dear friend the other day and she couldn't help commenting how alive and good I looked and seemed. I have to say - I agree. I have never felt so alive...

The beginning of the year was kicked off with divorce papers being filed after a 13 month separation. There's lots of depressing details on that journey...but the positive out of it all is that when my faith was tested and my obedience challenged - I clung to my faith and the assurance that God was there with me through this entire journey.

My role at work continued to evolve and change and I have loved it. It's challenging and often overwhelming - but I have learned more in past 12 months than I have in my entire life. I have been mentored, poured into and developed like never before. I have a team of family that has played a critical role in my life the past year and I love them.. especially in their brutal but loving honesty.

J has continued to develop into an incredible young man. Senior year has held lots of challenges - questions about what comes next, wondering where he fits in this world. Some dreams have died a painful death while others are starting to come to light. There are just five months left of high school... So much to be determined... so much still to come...

This summer J and I spent two weeks in Michigan and Indiana for Gram's 90th birthday. It was a wonderful time with family. Some I hadn't seen in 20 years - so what a delight to reconnect. Facebook has added another opportunity to get to know family and build relationships. It's been wonderful to get to know aunts, uncles, and cousins!

My health has been an ongoing challenge this year. Diverticulitis landed me in the hospital for 9 days in May and it's been an ongoing battle ever since. Repeat infections, but thankfully no add'l hospital visits. The year is ending with a surgery scheduled for Feb. 1 for a colon resection. I'm not looking forward to it... at all. But the ongoing pain, duration of antibiotics and all the other risks of repeat infections have led to the decision.

One of the most energizing aspects of my year has been the growth of my photography business. I was able to photograph another wedding in February and the past six months have allowed me opportunities for portraits, family sittings, commerical shots, and live venues. I've learned so much about me and my style, my preferences, my strengths and my weaknesses. I know I have so much still to learn, and I am excited to see where 2010 continues to take the business.

It's been quite a year. I am not the same woman I was. I am stronger, more confident, energized, challenged, and alive. I have been shown that when you give yourself away is when you become more alive. And I plan on continuing to join God in the adventure He is laying out for me daily.

Bring it on!

1 comments:

Audrey said...

Great recap. What a year you have had but you have certainly grasped onto the good that God has brought from the pain. Many blessings to you in this new year - what wonderful things will it hold?? :)