Let's Get This Party Started

The artist Pink has catapulted into my list of favorites in the past year. I've always liked her music, but there's just been something about it the past several months that just energizes me and gets me going. So What is probably my favorite song right now, but I imagine that has a lot to do with the circumstances in my life for the past 12 months. Things beyond my control?
So so what?
I'm still a rock star
I got my rock moves
And I don't need you
And guess what
I'm having more fun
And now that we're done
I'm gonna show you tonight
I'm alright, I'm just fine
And you're a tool
So so what?
I am a rock star
I got my rock moves
And I don't want you tonight

Kind of an angry song (just a little, right?), but for me it brings me to reality. It's not about circumstances in life; it's not about what's thrown at me. What it boils down to is how I respond; where my "rock moves" come from; where I find my strength. Pink didn't write this song with Christ in mind, but ultimately, that's what this song reminds me of. I'm gonna be alright because I have Him.

Here we are, on the cusp of a new year and I'm ready. Ready to break away from 2008. There's something about beginnings. Having been a dieter most of my life, there was always something about Mondays. A new start after a bad week. This past year the dieting mentally exited my life and new habits were formed on the basis of just being healthier. But the craving for a fresh start has been building.

Do you ever get the bug? The bug to drop everything and start an adventure? The urge to pack up and go and have a fresh start? Or on a smaller level - the urge to just purge what surrounds you in your life or home and get a fresh perspective? I'm a changer - I love change. I love to re-do, re-organize, re-arrange, paint, change it up. I drive people around me crazy sometimes. I don't like ruts or status quo - I like to, as Nigel Tufnel once said "push it one louder" and go to "eleven."

I have been purging on a regular basis the past year. Cleaning up, throwing out, giving away to simplify what surrounds me. Something just hit me. Maybe this habit is a way to deal with the change I'm not in control of? 2008 has held months and months of circumstances that were beyond my control. This year has been about releasing control of certain things and allowing God to lead in a new way.

On the horizon of a new year, what does all this mean? I'm not really sure, but I have loved experiencing God in a new way. Experiencing a level of care that can only come from Him. In the midst of an unstable hurricane of life, He has been my stabilizing factor and my life force. It's ok because Christ, He makes me alright. He makes me His rock star.

1 comments:

Brandy said...

So What is one of my favorite songs right now. I really rock out to that song!
And yes, I have gotten the bug, God willing I'm out of here soon.