The Wisteria Lane of Canaan

I don't watch Desperate Households, but I imagine that Abram and Sarai may have been part of their own little wisteria lane back in the day. At times, what a kooky couple! The plans these two come up with gives us, I think, a little glimpse into how far we humans will go to get our way, to achieve our desires, or to meet our timeframes, regardless of what God's timing may be or His plans may be. I know I've devised some not-so-sensible plans in my past to try to get things to work out the way I wanted them and in the timeframe I wanted them - this one just seems so out there every time I read it (Genesis 16)

Abram is the first with the devious scheme of pretending to be Sarai's brother instead of husband. At first glimpse, it seems sensible that he wouldn't want to be killed, so he says, let's pretend and they'll treat us well. But he goes so far as to give her away as a bride! He gets rich and Sarai was given in marriage to Pharaoh. God disapproves, sends some plagues and Pharaoh gives them the boot. It's curious - how long did this facade go on? What was Abram thinking all this time? Was it ok because he was able to build his herds and his wealth? Or was he suffering because of this decision he made to pretend?

Then we get to Sarai and her incredulous plan. I can't imagine offering another woman to my husband because of an inability to have children, but given the backdrop of the times, the culture, the importance of bearing children in those days, I can begin to imagine how Sarai felt and what prompted her to offer Hagar to her husband Abram. I am sure Sarai had to lay her pride aside in order to implement this plan. Imagine how she must've felt the night (or nights) she sent her husband to her maid. There were no insights or special equipment to get the timing just right. So what are the odds this wasn't a one shot deal? Scripture tells us that this arrangement was made ten years after Abram settled in Canaan. I couldn't find anything that indicated his age when he settled in this area, but he was 86 when Ishmael was born. So, makes you wonder if this went on for weeks, months or maybe even years?

Like Sarai, I've had plans backfire because I wasn't willing to listen and follow God's leading; or because I was impatient and wanted things my way and in my timing. But a life of pretend is such a foreign concept to me. Living day in and day out in a world that isn't true - I really can't even imagine.

Yet Abram was faithful to God and was rewarded for his faith and obedience. Which tells me, regardless of our scheming, our planning, and our failures - God is looking at our hearts. And He is willing to forgive. Even those times we try to take the reigns from Him - just as long as we give them back.

1 comments:

Brandy said...

Ha! I never thought of it that way. I just read that as well. :)