Meeting God where He meets me

Genesis 28:22
And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.

Traditions. Something our culture, overall, lacks. Traditions in the Old Testament included God in so many ways. As simple as this gesture by Jacob - setting up a memorial where God came to him in a dream, to remember what he had been told/promised. We don't do enough of this. We don't keep a history of where God shows up. We don't create places to meet Him where He has met us.

In theory, I love the idea of journaling my prayers so that years from now I can come back to them and revisit how God answered them. But the reality is I find it very difficult to maintain a habit of journaling. The times I have - I love coming back to those books and reading what I wrote; reading how God was working in my life. So why is it so difficult to continue that process?

Blogging is my new outlet for what God is teaching me. It's a way for me to record what He is showing me and teaching me in an easily referrable format. It's also fun for me to get feedback from others as they read some of my thoughts to see how God is impacting them as well.

Another little nugget today: "Jacob was still talking with them when Rachel arrived with her father’s flock, for she was a shepherd." (Genesis 29:9) Did you catch it? Or was it just suprising to me? Rachel was a shepherd. I never knew that!

2 comments:

Brandy said...

I blog about my prayers. It's just easier for me to type. I put them on my private blog.
I totally caught that part about Rachel being a shepherdess when I was reading it. I had to go back and read the paragraph again because I got confused!

Sheri said...

I agree. It's so much easier to type than write!