Six 13yo reminders of self

I have six 12-13 year old girls. God led me to step into a leadership role with a junior high small group last fall and I'm so glad I did. These girls are amazing.

This morning, early, God woke me with thoughts of them. And I began to see how He is ministering to me through them. I understand how He wants me to lead them, to speak into their lives in love and discipleship. Each one of these girls reminds me of my own 13yo self in some way, and some in so many ways. As I watch them, grow with them, and lead them I know He has plans to use my life and choices I made based on some of those reminder qualities.

My girls:
KD-independent, unique and marching to her own drummer. Could've been born in the 60s with her hippie tendencies. Gets lost in books. I wasn't quite that obsessive about books, but loved leaving my everyday existence to go somewhere else.

NR-the baby of our group. Immature in some areas, but wise beyond her years in others. Afer not adjusting to jr.high life very well, she made the decision to go back to 6th grade last fall. She basically held herself back because she knew she wasn't ready.

AB-athletic, fun-loving, strong and so family oriented. A natural beauty and comfortable in who she is.

AP-funny, caring, sensitive, and encouraging to others. Beautiful and sometimes suprisingly confident. Other times struggling to find where she fits or is reserved in sharing herself. But when she shares - she just glows.

SJ-Our quiet one, until she gets in the right surroundings. Reserved, but a follower and will break out of her shell when led by our stronger ones. The quietness is a hold as she waits for approval or acceptance, and then she blossoms.

LC-firecracker.The opposite of all the other girls! Loud, demanding at times, dramatic, insecure. Keeps her real self and feelings hidden. Puts on a tough exterior, but inside is absolutely craving acceptance for the simple things about herself.

I love these girls. Literally my heart swells when I think about them. Thoughts of leading them well are always on my mind. Thoughts of teaching them how not to learn lessons the hard way - how to keep the qualities of themselves that shine for God and not allow them to get trampled out by the world and its expectations or desires.

God..
This age is such a transition time - changes, opportunities, growth. Keep my heart in tune with yours, my words in align with yours, and my ear to your leading and promptings always at the forefront.

0 comments: