my heart just hurts this morning

Watched a little of The Today Show while getting around this morning and was shocked by a story that my mind still can't quite get wrapped around.

After five more teenagers and preteenagers were abandoned to state custody over the last eight days, including one whose mother drove from Georgia, Gov. Dave Heineman of Nebraska announced Wednesday that he would call a special session of the Legislature on Nov. 14 to rewrite the state’s safe-haven law.
(View the full news story here)

According to the repor, 24 teens and pre-teens have been left since September 1. I can understand a parent's desperation, overwhelmed feelings, and frustration with their teen—I have one. But I simply can't fathom ever giving him up...for any reason. In hard economic times or puberty rages-he was my boy; love him til my heart bursts. Just thinking about not having him around causes pain. There are moments, of course - we all have them. But I wonder how these parents must be feeling-the depths of their despair to actually drive across state lines to drop their child off with total strangers; never to return.

It makes me wonder about the hopelessness in their lives. It makes me wonder a lot of things. But mostly I wonder where's their connections? Where's their support system of family and/or friends? Or is this an illustration supporting how seperate and indivdualistic our nation has become?

I compare this story with another one I ran into recently. A mom I know was having great difficulty with her teen son. Single mom, not much family support near her, son's dad not a good influence or not around (can't remember which) - but someone stepped in. Her son was part of small groups at their church several years ago (like four) and his first jr. high coach was still involved in his life - even though he no longer lives in this state! He writes, calls, etc. He saw what was happening in this family and knew this boy needed a male role model to get back on the right track. He and his family stepped in and offered to take in this boy for a while. Mom's heart is breaking, of course, because as a mom you just want to fix it - to make it better. And this was beyond her fixing right now. But what an awesome example of the Church. Loving one another so much, supporting one another, sharing lives with each other. The Acts Church in motion and live in 2008 America. It's not a common occurence here; especially in Arizona. We drive into our garages, put down the doors, sit in our back yards with block walls 6 feet high, rarely interact with our neighbors let alone get that immeshed in someone else's life. So sad.

But it brings a powerful illustration into my mind and heart as I develop relationships with my own jr. high group. Last week was a killer for life drama in our group. My heart is still heavy with all that is going on in these young girls lives. One in particular as I pray and seek how God wants to use me in this situation. But I pray that He does use me - that He uses me, part of the Church, to make an eternal impact in others lives.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Wow - what is happening to our world? You make some excellent observations. I hadn't heard about this - thanks for posting it.

Brandy said...

I like when you pour your soul out.
That story makes my heart heart as well. :(