When will the medical madness stop?

In the past two days we have visited five doctor's offices and one medical facility for x-rays. As I sat at the final appointment today, getting x-rays of my wrist to ensure my clutsiness didn't result in my first broken bone, I reflected on the last 17 years of battling medical professionals.

Where has the patient care gone? When did doctors stop caring about the medical problems being presented and care more about quotas put forth by the governing insurance company? When did the observations or parents become threats to a doctor's knowledge or education? Why are we all just numbers and statistics in an industry where the only person that profits is the suit sitting in a governing office somewhere?

Seventeen years ago I gave birth to a miracle. The only one I was blessed with and am overwhelmed with thanks for. The pregnancy was not easy - the birth even more difficult. Three days of inducing - only to find out he was actually four weeks early. A huge baby for 36 weeks, but early nonetheless, which brought it's own set of complications. The first year included several bouts of congestion, bronchitis and asthma. Moments when precious life-giving air ceased to flow through his lungs and the only indicator to us was his silence and little blue lips. Then there were chronic ear infections leading to hearing loss, which thankfully corrected itself over time. Developmental delays also plagued our little guy - speech due to the hearing loss, fine motor skills, gross motor skills - the list goes on and on. I was a young mom and looked to the doctors, the professionals for guidance and wisdom. But I was met with were god-complexes and know-it-alls. It took some time to learn that I was his voice and doctors didn't know everything (even though very few of them will ever admit this). I learned that the doctors I wanted were the ones who were willing to listen, wiling to admit their own limitations. But there were so few of them, and most of them we encountered too late.

There was love, joy, happiness, giggles, belly laughter, craziness, adventures and fun too. So many memories that have filled my life with immeasurable joy. I wouldn't trade any of it—I have the best kid in the world.

Seventeen years later, most of the medical madness is a blur. It's times like the last couple of weeks where we're visiting doctor after doctor that I get reminded of the path that has led us where we are today. The pain of some of the struggles and the battles long forgotten. A grateful peace settled in my heart some time ago, thankful to a God who intervened in my life through this amazing baby, toddler, child, kid, teen, and now young man. And a mind filled with awe on how God grows us—through gut-wrenching moments and giggles alike.

1 comments:

Brandy said...

Okay, what did you do to your wrist? Hmmmm? And you do have a good kid, and you just have to be thankful that his situation wasn't worse. All those times of worry, God was strengthening you.
Te amo, chica.