Memory Lane


I have reconnected with a couple friends from high school via facebook. It's been fun to catch up with their lives. They were my best friends in elementary school and junior high and we shared some amazing times together. I stumbled across another friend that I haven't seen or talked to in about 15 years. She is now a teacher at our old high school. This school (I should actually say schools) was huge. We had two schools on one campus. Plymouth Canton and Plymouth Salem. I guess the population in rural Michigan has continued to grow, so instead of building another school elsewhere, you guessed it - they added a third school to the already chaotic 3-acre campus. The schools are now called Plymouth Canton Educational Park and house Salem, Canton and Plymouth high schools. Over 6,000 students attend this campus. Is anyone else thinking that is WAY too many teen drivers in one compact area?! That is putting tje buildings of Red Mountain, Mountain View and Mesa High all on one campus. Then factor in all those students. WOW! I found a photo of the new campuses and just can't imagine being a new student here. It was overwhelming when I went 20 years ago! You have classes at both (now three) schools - shuttling between the schools for classes.

In grade 10 I had swimming (mandated in michigan) for first hour at Salem, and science second hour at Canton. Scan this video (it's long and filmed 8 years after I graduated, but before the 3rd school was added. The quality is not great, but hopefully you'll get an idea). Now imagine making that walk in sub-zero temps with damp (or wet) hair. Pneumonia anyone?!



All in all I did love my high school experience here though. It was so hard to move in the middle of my junior year to Arizona - leaving behind the gigantic known and friends of 11 years or more, to a completely new culture at Horizon High school in Scottsdale.

Just a little trip down memory lane tonight.

1 comments:

Brandy said...

I love Facebook and Myspace for the reason of reconnecting with some old classmates!
My high school closed the year I graduated, we were the last graduating class. They merged the two high schools into one big campus and then took my high school and turned it into a middle school.
*Sigh* memories.