Thoughts on James

James 2:8-11
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself,"you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. (NIV)

You do well when you complete the Royal Rule of the Scriptures: "Love others as you love yourself." But if you play up to these so-called important people, you go against the Rule and stand convicted by it. You can't pick and choose in these things, specializing in keeping one or two things in God's law and ignoring others. (The Message)

Been reading the book of James as part of my morning devotion time. If you show favoritism, you sin. Bam. How is that going on in my life, my workplace, or my church? Does it go on? Sadly, yes. The pursuit of relationships with our execs or elders based on their status and to the neglect of others instantly came to mind. People will spend hundreds of dollars to go on a fishing trip with our senior pastor, but won't give a couple of bucks when they go grocery shopping to help feed those in need. They'll spend time golfing on a trip where they might get to pass by an exec, but won't given an hour and serve with the children. What is it that people feel when they say "Oh I hung out with so-and-so last night?" I guess maybe I can relate to that feeling if I was telling someone I was hanging with Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom, but in reality I have a feeling they'd still just be people. I appreciate and respect our senior pastor, executive pastors and elders so much. I think they have an amazing appointment by God and opportunity to lead and that they lead well. And there's several I do know and enjoy their personalities and senses of humor so much. But in the end, they are still people. People that have been blessed with certain opportunities to make an impact for Christ.

Favoritism has a power in some people's lives. Search my heart God, is it prevelant in mine?

The hearts of people are naturally selfish - I know mine is. It may not be in the same area of selfishness as some, but it is very selfish indeed. In what areas might I be showing favoritism? I've been on the receiving end of favoritism being lived out and experienced the hurt that comes from it. My dad played favorites. As kids, it ripped my relationship with my sister apart. Thankfully, as we grew older we saw it for what it really was—painful. A youth pastor that played favorites based on physical attributes. For the chunky, unusual, and awkward teen (aka me)- heartbreaking. Spiritually inadequate in others eyes because of my past choices and divorce—piercing. The list goes on, but the impact the same. It hurts to be part of the favoritism sin. God, show me where it's taking part in my life so that I might not be guilty of breaking Your Royal Law.

I don't have a ton of young childhood memories, but I remember a little boy coming in to my first grade class in a wheelchair. My heart went out to him and I became his keeper of sorts - pushing him around, making sure he had what he needed, etc. I'm sure parents and teachers stood by and sayd "Oh! Isn't that cute". But this morning I'm thinking isn't this the childlike innocence and love Christ speaks about and desires for us? One is not greater than another - we're all here to work together, love each other and help each other.

When I think of this royal law in visible terms I think of the ACTS outreach, those serving and reaching out in their communities and around the globe, Central's Buddy Expeditions, ministering to and serving those with AIDS. The list of how the Church lives this out this law goes on and on; and the list of how they break it is pretty long too. What about in our church body? Is favoritism prevelant? Do we have some work to do? What about in my own life? I pray for the wisdom to see when this sin invades my life and my heart and that I might closely follow Christ's example of always loving and serving those in need.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Wow! What a great post. And, ouch. Thanks for the 'food for thought'.

Brandy said...

Okay, seriously...I love your blogs. You really make me think, think, think!
Man, I show favortism in so many aspects of my life. Every day is a new learning tool and this is just something I need to remember.
Yay for the ACTS shout out. I have to say, I have favortism to them. :)